2 Americans held in Afghanistan have been released in a prisoner exchange


In one of its latest moves, the Biden administration secured the release of two Americans held in Afghanistan in exchange for a Taliban member jailed in the United States on drug charges.

The Taliban government released Ryan Corbett and William Wallace McKenty in exchange for Khan Mohammed, who was released from a US federal prison.

Mr. Biden issued a conditional commutation for Mr. Mohammed before he left office, though officials did not announce the order until Mr. McKenty and Mr. Corbett.

Mr. Corbett’s case received public attention. Earlier this month, his wife Anna visited Donald J. Trump at Mar-a-Lago and interacted with President Joseph R. Biden Jr. His family released a statement after midnight Tuesday praising the administration of Trump and Biden. managing the transaction.

Mr Corbett, 42, has been a long-term resident of Afghanistan since the fall of the US-backed government in 2021. He returned to the country to help with the micro-loan and consulting business he created when he was taken to be captives in the north of the country.

Little is known about Mr McKenty, 69, whose family has asked the US government to keep his identity private.

There are two more American prisoners of war in Afghanistan. George Glezmann, a former airline mechanic, and Mahmood Habibi, a naturalized American, who were captured shortly after the US strike in Afghanistan killed Ayman al-Zawahri, the leader of Al Qaeda.

In their statement, Mr Corbett’s family expressed their sadness that Mr Glezmann and Mr Habibi are also missing.

“It is our hope that Ryan, George and Mahmoud will return to their families together, and we cannot imagine the pain our treasure will bring them,” the statement said.

Biden officials wanted Mr. Glezmann and Mr. Habibi included in the trade and were disappointed if they didn’t, two former senior officials said. But the management did not like the timing of bringing the other two men, said an official. Officials Biden made several offers to the Taliban to protect all the hostages, but those offers were rejected. Mr. Habibi’s whereabouts are still unknown, and the Taliban say they do not know what happened to him.

Qatar helped negotiate the final deal and provided logistical support for the exchange, according to one of the former officials.

Overall, the Biden administration has secured the release of more than 80 hostages and other people held illegally around the world, officials said.

Mr. Mohammed was convicted in 2008 and is one of many people the Taliban government wants freed.

During his trial, Mr. Mohammed was accused of helping the Taliban obtain missiles to attack US military bases in Afghanistan and selling heroin for distribution in the United States.

He was charged in 2006, then brought to the United States in 2007 to stand trial and finally serve his prison sentence.

The deal to free the two Americans, made last week, did not include the release of Muhammad Rahim, an Afghan who has been held at Guantánamo Bay since 2008. Mr. Habibi remains in an Afghan prison.

The US government considers Mr. Rahim to be a former Al Qaeda operative who worked for Osama bin Laden and who knew or conspired in Qaeda and Taliban attacks on the United States and coalition forces. Advocates for his release have cast doubt on his role in the organization, suggesting that he is a messenger and interpreter and would not pose a threat to the United States if he is released.

“The previous administration seems to have missed the opportunity to take American homes in exchange for people who have no conscience or security for the United States,” said James G. Connell III, Mr. Rahim’s attorney.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *