Israel and Hamas conflict over hostages has left displaced Palestinians waiting


Palestinians displaced in southern and central Gaza wondered on Saturday when Israel would allow them to return to their homes in the northern part of the territory, as the implementation of the deal was disputed. ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The Israeli prime minister’s office said Israel would halt the movement into northern Gaza until a plan was put in place to release Arbel Yehud, one of the last civilian women held captive in Gaza.

Israeli officials said the deal called for Ms. Yehud’s release on Saturday. They said they believed he was not being held by Hamas, saying his arrest was not the sole responsibility of Hamas.

Hamas has accused Israel of being reluctant to end the ceasefire agreement. This conflict is one of the most prominent between the two sides since the ceasefire was signed a week ago.

The arrests left many Palestinians in anxious anticipation as they packed their belongings, including kitchen utensils, clothes and mattress pads.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are looking forward to returning to their homes in northern Gaza — many of them destroyed by Israel’s bombing campaign — after months of suffering. sadly in temporary shelters, schools and homes of friends and relatives.

As of Saturday evening, neither Hamas nor the Israeli prime minister’s office had publicly announced plans to release Ms. Yehud.

It is not clear what exactly needs to happen for Israel to consider releasing Ms. Yehud, but Hamas has confirmed which hostages will be released to Israel in the past by sending a list to Israel on through an intermediary.

The cease-fire agreement between Israel and Hamas stated that Israeli troops were to withdraw to the east on the seventh day of the agreement and that displaced Palestinians could then begin to return to their homes. Although Saturday was the seventh day of the deal, the Hamas government’s information office said earlier this week that people would be allowed to return on Sunday.

Israeli army spokesman Avichai Adraee posted on social media on Saturday that access to the corridor linking central Gaza with the north is still prohibited, with no indication of when this will change.

Palestinians in Gaza expressed anxiety as they await the decision.

“Everyone is busy and cautious,” said Ibrahim Abdulwahed, 40, a displaced man in the town of Deir al-Balah. He said he hoped Israel and Hamas would resolve the issue.

Others said excitement about returning home was mixed with fear of the devastation they would face after 15 months of Israeli bombardment.

“My husband and I have been waiting for this day, but I can’t help but be afraid of the great devastation we will see on the road,” said Nour Qasim, 22, an displaced person in Nuseirat, in the center of Gaza.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *