Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
Physical Address
304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124

GENEVA – Cristiano Ronaldo will likely miss any of Portugal’s games at the World Cup despite his red card in the qualifying game to face Ireland.
FIFA published a disciplinary decision on Tuesday that imposed a three-game ban, but suspended two of those games for a one-year probationary period.
Ronaldo served a mandatory one-game ban when Portugal played their final qualifying game last week – a 9-1 win over Armenia that sealed their place at the World Cup in North America.
The superstar was expected to be banned for at least one more game and start what would be his record sixth World Cup.
“If Cristiano Ronaldo commits another violation of a similar nature and gravity during the probationary period,” FIFA said in a statement, the remaining two games of the ban will be activated.
FIFA has disciplinary authority over national team sports and Portugal plans to play two friendlies in March, then possibly one or two warm-up games in late May or June. The World Cup co-hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico will begin on June 11.
During the 2-0 defeat in Dublin two weeks ago, Ronaldo stuck out an arm and shouldered Ireland defender Dara O’Shea.
FIFA’s decision comes a week after Ronaldo met US President Donald Trump at the White House for a formal dinner with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. FIFA President Gianni Infantino also attended the event and took a selfie with Ronaldo.
Ronaldo has played in the Saudi league for three years for the club majority owned by the kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund of which the prince is chairman. Saudi Arabia will host the 2034 World Cup and has been a major financial contributor to FIFA over the past two years.
FIFA said its disciplinary decision “a three-match suspension is subject to appeal by the FIFA Appeals Committee.”
It is unclear who may have legal standing to challenge the decision, and if it could be the Football Association of Ireland or World Cup opponents Portugal.
Trump is scheduled to attend the draw ceremony at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., on Dec. 5 where Portugal, one of the top seeds in the 48-team tournament, will meet its three opponents in a round-robin group.